For most people, preparing for a trip means planning your itinerary and packing. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. The travel pros at Travel & Leisure say there are a few steps you should always take before going on vacation to help you have a stress-free trip. They compiled a list of seven things you should always do before leaving home:
- Alert your credit card company and bank. Let them know you will be traveling – especially if you are going outside of the country – so they don’t turn off your card thinking there are fraudulent charges or withdrawals.
- Check your cell phone plan. You will want to make sure you have coverage wherever you are going, or you could get hit with hefty roaming charges. Some carriers offer international plans for about $10 per day. This will let you make calls in your destination as well as to family and friends back home.
- Confirm your reservations. Make sure you confirm your airline, hotel, and rental car reservations to make sure everything is exactly what you planned.
- Take out the trash. Be sure to empty the trash and clean out the fridge before leaving for an extended period of time. It’s also nice to tidy up so you come home to a clean house.
- Set up security. If you have a home security system, make sure it’s activated and that you registered to receive alerts. It’s also a good idea to let a trusted neighbor know you are away so they can keep a look out for anything suspicious.
- Place a mail hold. You can have the post office hold your mail while you are gone. This will keep would-be thieves from taking mail containing personal data.
- Lock up. It should go without saying, but make sure you lock all the doors and windows before you leave. And make sure the garage is closed too.